Wednesday, May 12, 2010

One Great Moment

Today something amazing happened to me. In a day that was up and down, confusing, and irritating, there was a ray of sunshine that blew me away. That ray of sunshine came from the unlikeliest place, a 5th grader.

This 5th grader does not always have the best days. He does not always want to do things. To say he is "rough around the edges" would hardly explain what he goes through on a daily basis. Despite all of the challenges that he has, he is a survivor. I love this kid. He makes it happen. He wants to be different. He is trying to be his best. He just needs the support.

I have not seen him for weeks until today. I did not know he was going to show up. He was the first one off the bus and RAN straight for me and just jumped into this huge hug. It was astounding. He had this huge smile. It was so easy to tell that he was just so happy to be there. I could tell that he was happy to see me. He was happy to be in a place that he loves with people that care about him.

That moment, that lasted a total of 10 seconds, was the single greatest moment of the last month. Those moments are the reason I do what I do. I will forever remember this moment and what it did for me personally.

Thank you for that moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for such a great post and the review, I am totally impressed!