So, what are all the different things that make me a geek? That is what I intend to share with you in this every so often column called, The Geek In Me. It will be released in no uniform fashion. Tonights installment will revolve around my current obsession with Comic Books. That is right ladies and gentlemen, I said it. I LOVE COMIC BOOKS!!!! If I could say it louder I would. Of course I do blame is rabid obsession on Kevin, one of my best and worst friends. That bastard has made it so that I find myself spending hundreds of dollars on these things and countless hours on PirateBay looking for the latest releases that I am too damn cheap to buy. Oh I loath that man.
What do I love about Comic Books? The stories. The real stories that are so damn over-the-top that you can find them nowhere else. I love that everyone in the world loves the stories but won't admit to liking comic books. I love going in the store and seeing them all over the walls and knowing that there is no way in hell that I can read them all, but damnit I am going to try. I love anticipation from one issue to the next. I love that it takes years to tell a story. I love that time doesn't exist, that all the characters haven't aged in years (I am excluded DC Comic's 52 from this paradigm). I love that a character can die and you know they will be back in one form or another. I love that there is good and there is evil, there is black and white, very little gray. I love superheroes that don't want to be superheroes. I love villains. I love that imagination is an asset. I love that my two favorite comic books, Fables and 100 Bullets, don't even involve superheroes. I love that I can pick out the right comic book for anyone to read and they are hooked, there are that many options. I love when something I expect to happen, doesn't. I love the art. I love the way they make me laugh. I love the simplicity of the fact that they are movies in storyboard form. I love that everyone in the world loves the comic book movies. But most of all I love how much I get excited for new stories and new rules. I just love the entertainment they give me.
Geeks are taking over the world ladies and gentlemen. The highest grossing film of the year just happened to be based off of a comic book, maybe you have heard about it, The Dark Knight, based off that little known comic book called Batman. Oh, and the second highest grossing film of the year in Iron Man. I will leave you with a cover of each of my two favorite comics.


No comments:
Post a Comment